As Christians, whatever we do must be to the glory of God, our creator. This is more particularly so in the way we dress. In many decided rape cases, judges have ruled that the victims were accomplices, having induced their assailants by their mode of dressing and general appearances. The Yorubas also agree that the way one dresses generally reflects on the way others perceive one – either with respect or disdain. A person who dresses like a hooligan is seen and treated as such while a lady who dresses like a prostitute is seen and treated as such. When a woman dresses with half the breast bare and uncovered or when from her stomach down to the abdomen is uncovered or when a skirt is so short that it leaves little or nothing to the imagination or when seated, her underwear is exposed, these amount to an invitation to the opposite gender to buy sex for money or other favors such as marks.
As a Christian university, Joseph Ayo Babalola University is determined to uphold purity and good conduct and has put in place a dress code that all students must comply with. Students are expected to dress formally between 8.00 a.m and 5.00 p.m on campus.
General Dress Code
1. Every student shall desire decency in dressing and appearance that presents the image of a cultured and educated person.
2. Moderation in dressing is a sign of a good christian upbringing. Extravagance in dressing is outward evidence of vanity. It is capable of leading youth astray especially when parents are unable to afford them. The insatiable love of extravagant and flamboyant attire, which cannot be supported would lead male students to stealing as well as encourage gansterism. Female students can be lured into prostitution and even steal.
3. The Bible enjoins Christians to avoid ostentatious and extravagant dressing. Joseph Ayo Babalola University students should therefore focus more on internal and eternal adornment of purity and love beyond outward extravagant adornment.
4. Dressing to the place of worship for both male and female students must be formal whether they are native or european attire.
Female Students Dress Code
1. Skirts must be long enough to cover the knees while seating or standing. If the skirt is slit, the slit must not go above the knees.
2. Blouses must cover the breasts down to the abdomen. Blouses must have enough sleeves to cover the bra straps.
3. Transparent dresses that reveal underwear are not permitted outside halls of residences.
4. Tight-fitting dresses are not allowed outside halls of residences.
5. Female students are not allowed to wear knicker burgers and trousers outside their halls of residence.
6. Christ Apostolic Church does not encourage the use of trinkets. Students are therefore encouraged to imbibe this culture.
7. Pyjamas, nightgowns and bathroom slippers are not allowed outside the halls of residences.
8. Native attires that conform to the above standards are permitted.
9. Heavy make-up of varying shades and colours is not permitted.
10. Abnormal, coloured and long hairdos are not allowed.
11. Long (artificial or natural) nails are not allowed.
12. In general, moderation shall be the watchword.
Male Students Dress Code
1. Male students are required to dress preferably in a conventional suit, french suit, or minimally in trousers and a tucked-in shirt with a tie.
2. Boxers, t-shirts, and all forms of sandals or slippers are not allowed during official hours between 8.00 a.m and 5.00 p.m.
3. Tail shirts, especially those with long sleeves, must be tucked in and buttoned up to give respectability. Moving around campus with a bare chest and belly is prohibited.
4. Hair must be properly cut and combed if long enough but must not be left shabby. Growing of beard is not allowed.
5. Bathroom slippers must not be worn outside halls of residences.
6. Jeans that are threadbare or torn must not be worn.
7. Use of any form of female ornaments like earrings, necklaces, bangles, and bracelets is prohibited.
8. Native attires that conform to the above standards are allowed.
9. Trousers should be properly worn. It should not be placed on the buttocks.